British Invasion at Monticello 2016

In June of 1781, there was an invasion! Not just any invasion, but a home invasion at the most mountainous residences in the colonies…Monticello! With Thomas Jefferson (Governor at the time) being the pinnacle of what made the United States finally tell England to bugger off (he did draft the Declaration of Independence after-all), he was bound to have some enemies come after him. Those enemies being Col. Tarleton's Green Dragoons. As soon as TJ heard from Jack Jouett (Virginia's version of Paul Revere), that danger was on the way, he grabbed his family and high-tailed it out of there to Popular Forest, only leaving a select few of the Hemings family behind (Martin and Robert) to fend off the house, but without showing any hostility. 


That being said, this was the very first reenactment Monticello ever had celebrating that event! Now where do Stephanie and I fit into this, we came in costume and joined the 7th Virginia Regiment (Thank you Laurel), and then looked around the grounds. I haven't been to Monticello in years, so everything was extremely new to me all over again. I enjoyed everything from interacting with the public, the actors, and touring the grounds and main house. Even better, I got to witness my cousin Adam portray Martin Hemings for the first time. 


They plan to have it again next year, so I definitely plan to mark my calendar for next year :) 




Laurel, Stephanie, and I 

Captain McLeod and I

Enjoying the sun

My favorite picture of this entire trip. The scenery on my left was absolutely breathtaking! 

Me with Thomas Jefferson


"There's so much Tyme on my hands" (Playing with the herb Tyme in Jefferson's garden)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II