Commission Project: Steampunk Vest & Skirt




Last week I was asked by my good friend Heather, to make her an outfit for her steampunk themed vending booth for an upcoming anime convention. She didn't want anything elaborate and complicated such as a floor length Victorian walking gown or anything flashy like a heavily cogged bodice. 

SO MANY COGS!

However, the request for something practical and comfortable seemed to come to mind. Also, everything would be due on Friday! I started this on Sunday. 


So after our trip to JoAnn Fabrics, we grabbed patterns from the Simplicity line. A vest from Simplicity 8023 and an A-line skirt from 1369. 

While making the skirt, I was immediately faced with a few tiny challenges: installing pockets into the front of the skirt, and installing the waistband with elastic (when the pattern does not call for it). I had to do a lot of trial and error in order to get the skirt to look right; otherwise it was pretty easy to knock out in two days. 

The vest's construction was a little easier than I perceived. Because we could not find a pattern for a woman's vest, we settled for a man's vest pattern. I had made and 18th century waistcoat last year for another client but, because it was my very first time, it would happen that I would make a few mistakes. This time, I knew what to do and how to avoid a repeat; case in point, I improved making the buttonholes on the sewing machine, and I even double lined the back of the vest for more stability for the wearer. The buttons sewn on both the vest and the skirt were bronze clocks that surprisingly matched the blue brocade fabric. 




In retrospect, I am very proud of how my work and how good it turned out. I do want to keep practicing with making modern day clothing for both men and women (maybe children if the opportunity presents itself). I also would like to continue to practice on making alterations in general. Thankfully, I get to keep the patterns leftover so I'll have plenty of opportunities to improve. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II