"Turn" premiere tonight



Last night, I got to watch the premiere of AMC's new series called 'Turn'. From what I understand, the show is about America's very first spy ring. However, as I continued to watch the show, there was more to the concept than I was lead on. It was also about the events that lead to the American Revolution (they mentioned problems during that time, such as the taxation without representation, and a few skirmishes), and a true story about a man from New York who is conflicted about both sides of the political spectrum, and gets recruited to be a spy for the patriot side. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the storyline because it was very interesting and did not fail to keep me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. I liked the conflict between the characters   as well as the rising action of the story. 



Now, here comes the parts that was a bit problematic. Being a Rev. War reenactor, I found myself a bit picky with accuracy of what the characters wore on the show. I wasn't too disappointed because while I understood that the concept was there, at the same time there were a few hit and misses. For example, the dress Abraham's wife was wearing in the beginning of the show, had a gathered neckline as if it was being pulled together with a drawstring. I don't think it's entirely accurate, but I could be wrong. 

Another aspect that bothered me was one of the characters, the main antagonist named Col. John Simcoe. I did some research on the real Simcoe, and he was nothing like what was portrayed on the show (as far as I can see at this point). Anyway, he was portrayed as a man who just couldn't take a hint, and many times attempted to force himself on the character Anna Strong. In addition to that, I have had lots of friends who have watched the show comment on the likeness he had to the 'Patriot's Col. William Tavington. I can definitely see it, considering how Simcoe was ruthless, and a bit of a jerk to the women on the patriot side. 

Overall, I think the show has a good chance and a good start. I want to see more of what happens (more than likely, I'm going to look this up and do some research), and look forward to next Sunday's episode. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II