1780's Dusty Rose Zone Front Gown

Two weeks ago, my husband and I were cleaning out our storage unit when I came across this really neat pink polished cotton fabric just laying in my old computer bags; funnily enough, I recalled having this fabric in my possession since I was in middle school in 1999! The fact that it was still in perfect condition was astounding! Immediately it reminded me of one of those gowns from the 18th century fashion plates and deep down, I've always wanted to replicate one of them to a tea. I started looking at all of the pink zone front gowns I could find on Pinterest. To my surprise, I noticed there were a lot of the same zone front gown styles in the same color. 




If only I had 2 extra yards I would have made a matching petticoat, but eh... White's just as pretty.





Using my favorite and only gown pattern (J.P.Ryan), I got the basic shell of the gown constructed and instead of using muslin, I used some leftover pink linen to line the inside of the gown. I also took the front in about an inch so it would fit a little more snug and appear smoother.  



After getting all the mathematics / technical stuff out of the way, then came the fun part! I had a LOT of fun with the trim. Surprisingly I found some 1 inch wide sheer box-pleated trim already made at Hobby Lobby for a good inexpensive price ($1.45 a yard) and decorated it to look like a zone front dress and made a matching bow for the front that can always be switched out for other colored bows (because making the zone front the traditional way, I just don't have the intention span or the knowledge to do that). 









^ Definitely reminds me of Cinderella's pink dress her animal friends made for the ball. ^ 



In retrospect, I really have no qualms about the gown other than I wish it had more yardage to make a matching petticoat. But since it was my middle school teacher from 1999 who purchased the fabric for home economics class and not me, there's really not much I can do about that. But what I do know is that from burn tests and ironing the wrinkles out, it's polished cotton. I may start using that from now on for future gowns because it looks and feels just like silk taffeta (even the rustling <3).







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II