Summer Sage Edwardian Ensemble

As many of us are collectively hunkered down at home due to the Covid-19 pandemic and with most historical events being cancelled, believe it or not there's been a lot of contingency plans and new hobbies  brewing for 2021. Several people I know, including myself, have spent this time researching topics, making new outfits, and honing on our new discovered skills (baking bread, sewing, gardening, Yoga, Youtube channels, etc). 2021, we're coming for you! 

On another note, Edwardian fashion has been a popular trend among some historical costumers this Summer. I don't blame them! The natural form silhouette is much appreciated during these hot summer months and the light and airy fabric choices work just as well...also, being able to play around with so much lace and floofiness! Who couldn't resist!? 


This is my first fitting of the full gown. Please ignore the wrinkles. 

The skirt pattern is from Simplicity 1558; I elongated both the front and back pieces and added hook & eye closures. I also added decorated buttons along the backside (for decorative purposes). 

The corset cover is from the Black Snail Edwardian blouse pattern I made my blouse from. I used only the front and back pieces and took in the back to make it more form fitting, cut the front open, added a drawstring to the bottom so it'll cinch around my waist, added a hook and eye to the very top, added a tie in the middle so it'll close nicely, and then added ruffles to the bosom.

The blouse pattern from BSP was very easy to follow and I highly recommend it to anyone venturing into Edwardian fashion for the first time (like me). The only thing I did differently, was that while the pattern called for me to insert the lace for the neckline, instead I just purchased some already pre-made lace fabric (bridal lace) and re-cut the neck, front, and back pieces and layered it over top. The remaining fabric pieces I had went around the sleeve cuffs. 

Next was making the belt. Using a pattern I had from Angela Clayton's 1890's Walking dress, I elongated the bands of the belt to make it fit perfectly around my waist, and cut off the tip of the belt that was at the top (personal preference). The fabric I used was a sturdy cotton twill from Renaissance Fabrics as well as some leftover interfacing I had from a previous project. To make it very study, I learned that using boning would keep its shape. I'll have to install that sometime soon.

Finally, the hat. There's not really much else to say about it. I decorated it using ribbons and some lace I sewed together and draped overtop of the hat. Underneath I covered it with some cotton muslin and finished it with some black grosgrain ribbon.  

Eventually, I'll be able to wear this ensemble among friends at an Edwardian tea or a public event. But until then, going to keep sewing my little heart out. 

Stay safe...


Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II