Colonial Williamsburg Internship: Prelude day 3

Sunday, I spent the entire day with my good friend Mr. Cohen. Still playing tourist, we got to see the new exhibits at the Dewitt Wallace Museum including the brand new Textiles exhibit. I was very enamored with this exhibit because not only does it have to do with my internship, but it also intrigued me to want to replicate some of the gowns and jackets. 

Later, we went to a program involving the Reverend Pamphlet, Robert Carter and President George Washington. It was a pretty good because each person gave their perspective on Religion and of course the issue of Slavery and how it not only affects them personally (as they themselves, except for Gowen Pamphlet were slave holders).  

Afterwards, we went to see the historic trades such as the wig maker's shop and the Tailors and introduced me to many of his friends who worked there. They were very nice and incredibly helpful with putting me at ease about the first day of my internship. The jitters were real (lol). 

This gown looks like it could fit me (lol)


These gorgeous amethyst buckels



Beautiful gauze French nightcap with a silk bow


Mark Hutter interpreting an 18th century Tailor here in CW. He was absolutely awesome with describing the tools of the trade and how fabric was the most important import throughout the American Revolutionary War


This will be my next personal project. I love chintz aprons :)





Apocrathery Shop


Items from a gentry woman's toilette

A quilter's dream


Adam taking the reins


Chintz lined hat (straw on top, fabric on the bottom)

This silk reticule above really got my attention. It is of an African-American slave running away. I've never seen anything like this before and wonder what purpose this purse had during the 18th century.




Reverend Gowan P. preaching the gospel to his flock



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II