Partying it up Victorian Gothic Style

Celebrated my friend Taylor's birthday this past Saturday at the Historic Edgewood Plantation Bed & Breakfast in Virginia. The theme was Victorian Gothic, in which we'd all wear full or half mourning gowns from 1800-1910. When I did my last post, I mentioned that my gown is a composite of both 1875-1885 styles. I'm really glad that I decided to just have fun with creating it and going over the top in decorating with lace and pleated trims. 



Ironically the night before the party, I received a phone call from a relative saying that my uncle had died. Naturally I would have stayed home to mourn but given that I had put blood, sweat and tears into this gown in preparation for Taylor's party, I opted to just go on and have a good time (I won't lie, there were some moments where I did fight back some tears-but that's what the veil's for). 

Anyway, I took a lot of photos of the event and for the sake of not going picture heavy on this site, I created a Flikr account (link at the very bottom for more photos/videos). 

Taylor recreating a scene from "Gone With The Wind" 

A spooky gathering

Ashley in her 1900's mourning gown




Stephani with a very friendly stray Tomcat

Brittany's gorgeous yellow and black gown 


One of the smaller tea rooms in the house 


Kenna in her gorgeous regency round gown

Ashley and Samantha

A somber moment


Summer salad with mixed greens, mandarin oranges (and orange juice), cheese, walnuts and edible flowers







After Kenna and I left the birthday party just around the start of dinner, we took a short detour and visited the two most other famous plantations in the Tidewater area: Shirley Plantation and Berkeley Plantation. We were stunned to find out how long the stretch of road was from the entrance to the main houses (Shirley Plantation was a good 10 min ride or more). Sadly both places were closed, but I definitely plan to return again to tour the sites. 

The original barn behind the Bed & Breakfast was erected in the early 1700's. 

Berkeley Plantation main house




https://www.flickr.com/gp/182044023@N05/4nMh60

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II