1860's Quilted Winter Hood
I did not have a pattern for this project, so I made one instead by looking at the construction of the hood through photos on Pinterest. It looked really simple to make: a long rectangle that acts as the brim of the hood, a crown, and a skirt for the nape of the neck. The hoods also looked like it called for wool with a silk lining. Thankfully I had some leftover silk from a previous outfit and sandwiched that over some cotton batting leftover from Christmas, and a yard of fabric that I purchased from Walmart (so needless to say, this isn't 100% historically accurate, but that's okay-I won't be wearing this around fire).
|pre-quilting the fabric before I made the patterns|
I pieced all of the items together and formed the hood and the skirt. One thing I've overlooked was that I did not make the bonnet a little larger (I have a lot of hair) and that the crown in the back seemed a little weighted due to the skirt. Since this is my "prototype", I'll make an updated one in the future.
When it came time to make the brim of the bonnet, I attached the rectangle piece and used matching fabric to bind the edges all the way around as well as bound the edges of the skirt.
Given that I did not have a pattern to go from and had to make one from scratch, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out; it certainly did the job with keeping me warm and thankfully the silk lining did not mess up my hair for photograph (I think it's safe to assume that's why a lot of women preferred silk lining in their hats). I'd like to make another one in the near future where I use more historically accurate materials, but for now, I'm going to enjoy keeping warm with this little bonnet of mine.
Also, while there's no shame in putting out a business promotion plug, I highly recommend checking out the Victorian Photography Studio in Gettysburg! Not only do they do traditional and historical tintypes/wet plates, but they also offer digital photographs as well.
Post a Comment