Victorian Split Drawers: Simplicity Review

I wanted to try my hand at making a pair of authentic victorian drawers. When I say authentic, I mean drawers you can wear underneath your mid to late 19th century gowns without any use of elastic. 

Oh! And did I mention these were split drawers?

Front and Backside of split drawers

At first, I wasn't too sure about using the Simplicity pattern in the event that the underpinnings were more for costume and not for practical use, but after reading the instructions and working on the pattern, I really was surprised to discover that these were in fact historically accurate as they were split drawers and required a button in the back for fastening. 




My favorite aspect of course was the cute little pleats on the bottom. I made at least 3 or 4 pleats as directed in the instructions and used some lace trim I recycled from a costume I had once upon a time. I wanted to add on eyelet trim where I could weave ribbon in between, but I figured that'll come when I make another pair. 


I really think the split drawers are pretty cool and of course very practical when you're wearing a lot of heavy and constricting clothing overtop and underneath. I think personally these can be worn for any era predating 1920 ( I believe that's when they started modernizing undergarments into what we wear today). That being said, it's going to take me a bit to get used to wearing these drawers for their main purpose, but from what I have been told by other costumer's and reenactors who swear by them, it's a great garment to have. 



For modesty sake I'm wearing spanx underneath. The front looks amazing, but the back makes me look like I've acquired MC Hammer's pants... that are a size too big. (lol) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II