A Victorian Christmas skirt (my very first one)

Had a sewing party tonight with my husband and a good friend of mine from work. While we ate spaghetti, and watched Jim Henson's 'Labyrinth', we worked on my Victorian skirt (with train). It took a while; considering this was my first non- 18th century skirt, and I did not have a proper pattern for it, and made a mistake on the back of the skirt (I miscalculated the amount of fabric I'd need to add to the back) but thankfully my friend was a professional and turned my sewing blunder into something that looked just like a victorian skirt. 

My reference photos below:

The personality of the ensemble just screams challenge 

Dresses with a more simpler design (no flounces on the purple, and slight flounces on the tan)


My Progress:


Simplicity 1558.


I had everything cut out, until I put the skirt over top of my underskirt and bustles and realized that I needed to make it longer like a train. Unable to salvage it myself, my friend stepped in and saved the day.
First I got myself into the "bare bones" of the outfit so we could do some draping and re-measuring and LOTS of cutting corners. 


Symmetry is everything!
                                                
Afterwards we tried it back on with everything and huzzah, it worked! With the skirt only 50% sewn up, what's left is the waistband, the wide flounces, and more than likely tons of ruffles and bows. Not 100% sure yet, but I'll sketch it out before tomorrow's next sewing session. 




Stay tuned for Part II of the sewing party. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II