Colonial Market Faire 2015 Part I

The Colonial Market Faire is finally here at the Benjamin Banneker Museum! 

What did I do to get ready????

Again for the 4th night, I pulled yet another all-nighter to get everything ready for today's event. At the very last minute, I decided to augment one of my older gowns and turn it into a small jacket. I probably didn't finish sewing everything until 2:00am; it got to the point where I was just too tired to continue on with the trim, so I decided to just work on it while sitting at my display table. 

Anyway, I finally got to wear my new Caraco jacket that I finished on Thursday, and surprisingly it   was very comfortable. It didn't feel heavy like my other Robe L'anglaise's when I bustle them (especially in this hot weather).  

Speaking of weather! 

Sometime in the middle of the day, it became a whopping 85 degrees and the humidity wasn't helping at all. At first it didn't bother me too much considering I was wearing cotton fabric and stayed hydrated, but sadly I still ended up succumbing to heat exhaustion and had to go inside to cool off for 40 minutes ( NOTE: It's very dangerous when you stop sweating, if this ever happens go inside to cool off immediately!) I learned that from my first experience while down in Colonial Williamsburg 2 years ago for Under The Redcoat, so this time I was able to catch the signs before it got any worse. 

Anyway, while at the faire I got to see a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a while, and scoped around at all of the sutlers. I was very tempted to buy things, but decided to hold off. I also got to take pictures with Benjamin Banneker and interact with a lot of the visitors. 





The exhibition table was a success. The display was to show what women wore day to day during the mid 18th and early 19th centuries. A lot of people stopped by to take a look and ask a lot of questions and inquire if I take commissions. While this is mostly a hobby and gives me something to do I do while reenacting,  I sometimes do take commissions. However to be honest, because I'm still very new to sewing, I am nervous about how I would mass produce gowns and other items for people all at once, and often wonder if I can work on certain patterns with ease. The 18th century gowns that I have are mostly from the Mill Farm pattern, but maybe if I dabble with J.P.Ryan's patterns some more, I will feel more comfortable with working from a wider plane. Plus, I still need to learn how to make men's clothes. But I guess one lesson and one project at a time right?

Well, anyway, I'll be back tomorrow and will definitely take some more pictures of the festivities as well as some other happenings in the historic area.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie (1992) Synopsis Pt. I

Fichu construction & Tutorial

Time Skip Perona Cosplay dress Part II